Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blankets Galore

For the last few months I've been seaming other people's knitting. The big blanket I named 'the seaming adventure' is now finished. I don't really mind seaming, which is good because this blanket consists of nine squares that each consist of 16 squares. That makes 144 squares in total!

This image is not a real one, but a photoshop collage of three images because I was unable to take photo of the whole blanket in one go. It took 18 skeins of acrylic in various colours and in the beginning I was rather worried that the colours really wouldn't work together. In the end, it doesn't look too bad at all, I think... I did a granny crochet border in black round the edge to make it look a little more finished, but you can't really see that on the image.

The other blanket I've been working on is a sampler afghan.
 My father knitted it (yes, you read that correctly, my father was even the one who taught me how to knit ) and he asked me to do a border round it in the style of the ten-stitch blanket.
 Because I didn't want to be working with the whole blanket every time I worked on the border, so I started it in two different places and then unravelled the cast-on edges and joined with the kitchener stitch (the first time I used it to seam garter stitch!) The seams are not totally invisible, but They're just about okay...

There was a minor problem involving the rows of squares that had the beginning of the border on them getting seamed to the wrong side of the blanket, but I think I actually looks better this way, the pattern block diagonals aren't so strong any more, which makes it looks more random and home-made...

I've also made some progress on the green granny squares blanket, but nothing worthy of a photo...

No comments:

Post a Comment